Emmy has just started a Pioneer unit in school. As part of the unit, they are each assigned identities, and will go with their family across the country. Emmy has been so excited about this - and tells us all about her family, their ages, professions, etc. Last night Emmy had to write down her supply list - everything she was going to take with her on her journey. She had 1000 pounds to allocate however she wanted. After she had written down her giant "To Pack" list, I helped her add up pounds to make sure she was in the 995-1000 pound range her teacher had assigned. We added them all up and she was way over. So I suggested she look over her list and figure out was was a neccessity, and cut the rest. The first thing I pointed out was her spinning wheel (for a whopping 25 pounds!). That was met with, "But Mom, you know that spinning wheel is the thing I'm most excited to take." Ok, on to something else . . . Then I came to a fiddle. I told her she should only take things that are going to help her surive - anything else had to go.
Emmy: Ok, I'll take off the fiddles.
Me: Fiddles?? How many did you pack?
Emmy: 3
Me: why 3?
Emmy: Because this is their only entertainment and I wanted each person in the family to have one!
In the end, the fiddles got cut, the spinning wheel stayed. To the pioneers I say: Too bad you didn't have Emmy with you. Sure, she would have bummed food off of you, but she would have brought entertainment.
1 comment:
That is so fun! Josh just finished the same unit. It got so cold they all had to pick one thing to burn, and he tossed in his sewing kit. It didn't add to the warmth much, but he was the only member of his wagon train to arrive alive!
Does Emmy know what a spinning wheel is?
Post a Comment