Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Best Birthday Present Ever


This post is dedicated to my sister Allyson who has been
begging me to post this story since November.  Enjoy Al!
 
 
 
      Tyler started middle school this fall and that meant a little more diversity in his classes.  All year he has one period that changes subjects every quarter - Art, Keyboarding, Computers, and Family Science (Family Science is what used to be Home Ec when I was in middle school). 
      So his first class of the year was Family Science.  The first half of the quarter was cooking. Tyler loved it.  Every Thursday was his lab day when he got to cook something.  At home, we have enjoyed the benefits of this class.  We've had Orange Swirls and French Bread Pizza brought to us by Tyler's new talents.  It's also me realize the can do way more cooking than I had been giving him credit for. 
      The second half of the quarter was sewing.  He made a pin cusion and this cute, furry football.  From  his new found skills, the best birthday present ever was born.  I have pillowcases for my kids for every holiday.  In September my kids all had their Back to School pillowcases on their pillows and Tyler told me that his had a hole in it.  Sure enough, in the seam was a hole.  He told me, and I promptly forgot.  I certainly wouldn't have thought anything of it until next Semptember when I pulled out my holey pillowcase. 
     A few nights before my birthday I was in my room reading.  Derek came in and told me stay in my room.  Secrets were going on.
     Two days later was my birthday.  I could tell something good was coming by how Tyler was acting.  The last present was from Tyler.  I opened it to find our Back to School pillowcase.  I was a bit confused.  Then he reminded me of the hole he had found.  'Look for it' was what I was told.  Looking for the hole I could tell it had been whip stitched together.  By the most recent graduate of Family Science.


                                                           


   Tyler told me how a few nights before he had told Derek he wanted to fix the hole for my birthday present.  After telling me to stay in my room, Derek helped Tyler find thread and needle.  After he'd done that Derek told Tyler he couldn't be any more help - he didn't know the slightest thing about fixing the hole.  So Tyler went to work.  He whip stitched me the best birthday present ever.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

The best birthday present ever, and now the best blog post ever!!
I love that kid, and that pillowcase. I wish I had one that had a hole in it....

Gayle Menlove said...

What a clever gift... maybe next year he may make you a pillow case!
Gotta love that Tyler, he is resourceful among other things. Love the whip stitch.