Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Last Week of Summer fun

This is our last week of summer - next week school sets in for both Tyler and Emily. The kids have had their paper chains in the rooms for a few weeks now. I'm trying to think of some things to do to make this week different and get the kids excited for school. The best idea I had was to take the kids to 5 parks in 5 days - and hopefully throw in some we've never been to (I got a new city map that had all of these parks that we'd never been to). So yesterday we start with gusto. I tell the kids we're going to this great new park we haven't been to yet and get them all excited. After getting hopelessly lost we find it - a big dirt pile with a sign that says 'Future home of park' - explain that to your kids. So I take them to a good-enough standby and the kids have fun. Today - exact rerun of yesterday - today's park isn't done yet either! I drove my kids all over the valley for nothing! Can you believe our luck?! Another stand-by parked filled in great though. I came home and checked the website to see what parks are actually done, so tomorrow we should fare better.
My next idea for our fun week is to check out all the First Day of School books I could from the library. Apparently I'm the last to have the idea because they were really picked over - but we got several and all of our story times this week are school books.
Hopefully my kids are having fun - I just hope this week feels special to them. It also helps me keep busy and not thinking about Tyler going to kindergarten. It's starting to set in though - I've been sick to my stomach all week with this feeling of dread. His teacher and principal did come by our house on Friday and that was really nice. They only stayed a few minutes but his teacher gave him a big hug and that made me feel better about sending him. It also helped to give a face to a name for him. On Monday parents go and stay the whole 2 hours (it's a half day for the whole school) so our big day will really be Tuesday.

1 comment:

Rainie said...

I'm sad for you just thinking back to the "last week". I just wanted it to last forever. Have so much fun with him.