Today's the day . . . the first day of kindergarten. Last night the gravity hit me and the tears started flowing. Every time I would see Tyler I would start to cry, and then try to stop them as quickly as they came so he wouldn't know how hard this is on me. I cried most of the night and started again this morning. I did however pull myself together when it came time to get serious and go to school.
I dropped the girls off at Jen's house and hurried home to get Tyler. There he was in his new school clothes all ready for his first day of kindergarten. Derek and I both went with him to school. The parents were invited to stay for the whole time (it was early release day so kindergarten was only 2 hours today) and so the three of us headed off to school. We got there and went to his class and met his teacher. We knew five other kids there so that really helped. The kids sat on the carpet with the parents sitting around the room. We hung up his Spiderman backpack and got his papers out of his cubby. We went over a few things and then she did roll call. She called Tyler's name and he just raised his hand like he knew what he was doing. I got myself signed up to head up the class parties (with my friend Becca) so that should be really fun. Then the parents left the classroom to fill out paperwork in the library while the kids stayed in the classroom with the teacher. The paperwork was insane - so many forms to fill out to get him on the right bus! After we filled out everything we went back to the classroom. The kids had been going to different stations: coloring, blocks and other things. As soon as Tyler saw Derek and I his countenance changed from everything's fine to being upset. I think he was fine while we were gone, but as soon as he saw us it was upsetting. Why is it that kids are fine for babysitters but the second you walk through the door they start crying? It was exactly like that. After that he couldn't finish his paper and he just wanted to go home. We said our goodbye's to the teacher and we left. It took him a while to adjust back to himself after we got home too. I think kindergarten is going to be a big transition for him. He's such a home-body that this is really going to stretch him.
All in all, our first day was great. I loved that parents were invited to stay the whole day - that was so great to have a little baby step for both Tyler and me. Everything seems really great - the day I'd dreaded for 3 months wasn't so bad.
Now tomorrow is a different story - he's riding the bus. To and from school! I think we better just get everything scary out of the way so I'm jumping right in. I'm really worried about the bus - it seems the most scary to me out of all the kindergarten worries. The ride there will be fine because it's just kindergarteners, it's that ride home - with 5th graders! I've found out that they put the kindergarteners on the bus first - and that they sit at the front with assigned seats - so all of that really helps to alleve my fear. Tomorrow's a big day - riding the bus and being at school alone. And I don't even want to think about the fact that Emily starts preschool tomorrow too . . .
Monday, August 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So Tuesday came and went and I couldn't contact ALL day because our phone and internet were down. Was it O.K? I can't wait to talk to you but it's 6:40a.m. your time and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate a call at this hour. About him being sad. The first day I left Charlotte I kept wanting to go peek in. A freind kept spying and telling me she was O.K. but I had to see for myself. She told me "as soon as she sees you she is going to cry". Why is that? Are kids our so smart.
Post a Comment