I feel like this is my 'goodbye to Education Week' post ... which makes me sad. I have gone to Education Week almost every year since I was pregnant with Tyler. That year, Jen and I went to BYU-I for our first time. Man, did we have a good time. Except for when Jen took my towel while I was in the community shower - one bathroom for a whole floor full of women, and I was an extremely 9 months pregnant (Tyler was born the next week), and I had visions of me walking completely naked back to my room. Thank heavens she gave back my towel before I sent everyone there to therapy! But I have gone every year for 14 years except the 4 years I was nursing a baby. I've gone with my mom, sisters, sisters-in-law, and friends. It's always been a highlight of my summer.
But, this year my kids switched to new school, where they are on a modified year-round schedule. Education Week at BYU is always the third week of August. And at our new school, we'll start school that same week now. I'm not willing to miss my kids' first week of school - so Education Week has to be shelfed. For now at least.
So I wanted to give a shout out to Education Week in this post. I grew up with my mom going to Education Week at BYU every year. Every year. She would go to class from 8 am to 10 pm and eat an apple in between classes. She was an Education Week diehard. Me, not so much. The last 4 years I've gone with friends - and while we certainly go to a lot of classes, we also squeeze in a bunch of fun. We always go out to fun restaurants, go the temple, hike the Y, maybe see a movie or squeeze in some shopping (thank you IKEA!), and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.
2011 was the first year I went with friends. What's been fun is every year it's been a different group of girls. I'm starting to forget who I went with when, so I have to write them down to help my sad memory. My first year was Andrea, Kristen, Kim, Lisa B., Becca, and me. 2012 I went with Becca, Kim, Katie, Lisa B., Lisa T., Kalie, and Melissa.
2013 Education Week
Katie, Becca, me, Kristie, and Kim (Andrea was missing from our picture)
I. Love. These. Girls.
I. Love. These. Girls.
2013's Y hike
Becca, Kristie, me, Kim and Andrea
The Y overlooking BYU
2014's Education Week
Shannon, Katie, Becca, me, Kristie, Kristen
It's so fun to be back on BYU campus - it's like no campus on earth, and I love being there. I always bring home souvenirs for my kids - BYU t-shirts, hoodies, pj's, mint brownies or Y donuts. A little subtle brainwashing never hurt anyone, right mom? :)
So until next time Education Week - where I will welcome you back with open arms!
3 comments:
Oh I love Education Week! I have missed it the last 2 years and that was a sacrifice.
You started going when you were 14. What about BYUI and take the family?
What about BYU-i?? Do not say goodbye just yet. I'm dreaming of going with you again someday.
The first year was the best year!
Post a Comment