Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Late Start Wednesday

Every Wednesday our whole school district starts school 15 minutes later. The point is to give teachers 15 minutes of grade-wise collaboration time. So instead of school starting at 9:05, we start at 9:20. Last year we had Late Start but the buses still came at the same time - the kids just played on the playground for an extra 15 minutes in the morning. This year, due to budget cuts, the buses come 15 minutes later so they don't have to pay for the extra playground duty-people.
I love Late Start Wednesdays. School starts so late already that I never have to wake up my kids. So on Late Start days we get so much done before school. Both Tyler and Emmy get through their piano lessons, and can work on their spelling.
Tyler has the same spelling homework every week. On Wednesdays his assignment is to have his spelling list in one room and his paper in another. He looks at his list, starts with the first word, and spells it outloud while he walks to his paper and then writes it down. Logan has caught onto what he's doing and every Wednesday morning Tyler walks through the house spelling words outloud with Logan a step behind him yelling E I E I E I E I (I'm guessing from Old McDonald). Another reason to look forward to Wednesdays.

2 comments:

Rainie said...

I love the Beehive updates. It's always a great day to read your new posts. Your kids are darling, way to go with the morning productivity.

Gayle Menlove said...

Wow, you get a lot done on Wed mornings. I love that Logan is learning to spell, or at least learn part of Old MacDonald.