Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I've Been Released

Friday morning our 2nd counselor in the Bishopric came over and released me from my calling. I'd been the Primary chorister for almost 2 years and he told me I needed to be released. I knew it was coming so I was dreading his visit. Part of the dread was the idea of losing this calling, and part of the dread was what if I get something worse. I wondered what he would say if I said 'no' to being released - and then I quickly realized he wasn't asking if I would be released, he was simply informing me that I was being released.
I've been really sad about getting released. It really felt like the Bishop was taking away my 90 kids - they're my kids and I don't want to share them! Being the Primary chorister has been a lot of work, but because it's been so much work I think I've gotten so much satisfaction out of it. It just seems the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. There has been down sides to this calling - doing it every week takes a lot of effort (and a lot of sugardoodle.com), and getting a sub has been a pain. I can't tell you how many times I told Derek we have to be back from our weekend plans by church because it's so hard to get a sub for this calling - it's out of a lot of people's comfort zones. But this calling has had so many positives too . . . I've loved working with both presidencies I've been in for, I've loved getting to know the kids, and my favorite part has been to be able to be in Primary with my kids. Since Bay started Sunbeams this January I've gotten to be in Primary with 3 of my kids. It's so fun to see my kids take part in sharing time and singing time and it's fun to see them learn the gospel. So many times we've had FHE based on the Sharing Time we just had, because it was such a great idea or a topic I hadn't thought about teaching our kids.
Sunday was my last day in Primary and I had to tell the kids goodbye - I was so sad! I told the kids that being in Primary is my favorite place to be. I'm sure by next week the kids won't even remember what singing time with me was like, but this calling has meant a lot to me.
And of course there is the other side of being released - the new calling. I did get a new one, the Enrichment Leader. I don't know anything about Enrichment so this is certainly going to be something entirely new for me (since I've been married - 10 years - I've only had Primary callings). All I know about Enrichment is that I always go, and I always hope there's dinner! I'm sure my Enrichment I.Q. is about to increase (I have my first meeting tonight - where I'm sure I'll learn a lot, like if I want dinner at Enrichment, I have to make it!). It seems like such a big change for where I've been for so long . . . but change is good. I'm excited . . . I think.

9 comments:

PennStateMama said...

nuh uh! I was released from my calling in YW and called to be the enrichment leader in November! I am still having withdrawal symptoms, too. Enrichment is fun, but there is a lot of pressure, and the four quarterly meetings are a TON of work. Our first quarterly got canceled because of 14 below temps, so we rescheduled for tomorrow. AHHHH! Breath deeply, everything will be fine, right? We totally have to swap ideas!

Rainie said...

Oh those cutie pies are sure going to miss you. I'm sorry it had to end. I'm with you that Enrichment is always better with dinner and worse then making it might possibly be cleaning it up...but just think of the endless new insights you'll learn in RS. You're going to do great, every ward needs an Amy.

Gayle Menlove said...

Ames, I am sure those kiddles will miss you too! That is a hard job to replace, and you won't be easy. Homemaking will see easier because it is only 4 times a year and you have a help with the cluster groups. You are always great at everything you do, your sisters are in for a treat with you at the helm!

One Sassy Mama said...

Oh--I do love the primary chorister calling. I have tried campaigning for it in my ward to no avail. I'm thinking about making posters and marching in front of the bishop's house to make my desires known. hehe.

You will do great as enrichment leader--I wish you were our enrichment leader! Our current one is getting called to YW's and we have no clue who to replace her with.

Good luck!

Aj's crazy days said...

You are going to ROCK as enrichment leader, everything I've seen you do is GOLD!!

Too bad for the kiddies, they will miss you.

Anonymous said...

Cute new background- it's the one I picked when I was feeling like changing but never got up the guts! I think you'll like RS and enrichment will be fun. How was the meeting?

Callie said...

So exciting to have a new calling, even though it is hard to leave the old one behind!! I'm in Primary now after 5+ years in Young Womens. I thought it would be an adjustment, but I just LOVE it!! So much to learn in each new calling we accept.

Lempskies said...

They won't forget you. I only remember 2 of my actual primary teachers, but I remember that your mom & mine were choristers & that they were fun- bet you were too!
Good luck in RS. You'll be great.

Katie said...

Amy- I am a little behind on my blogs, I was SHOCKED when they released you! it is painful to leave our darling kids-you were outstanding in your calling and so flexible and easy to work with. I know the kids loved how fun you made primary. You will be awesome in your new calling and now that I am in RS we could sit together. I will come to your Enrichments but I might not be in a skirt! Maybe I could be on enrichment committee you know instead of scouts!