This morning Tyler missed the bus. We were doing our regular routine (read as . . . we were having family prayer in the living room so I could have one eye reverently opened looking for the bus) when the next thing I knew the bus was there, kids loaded, and passing our house! I started yelling 'Bus! Bus!' (Derek kept praying), and I started grabbing Tyler and dragging him to the door. He seemed to be much more interested in Derek's prayer (all of the sudden), than getting himself on the bus. I was out the door, pajamas and all, trying to chase it down! All the while Tyler very methodically was putting on his coat, then his backpack - by the time that kid was ready I think the bus was out of the neighborhood!
So I'm telling Tyler I can't believe he missed the bus and he's just trying not to smile . . . for some reason this is good news to him. Because he obviously doesn't get this is bad I have to spell it out for him . . . now Derek or I have to take him! He's still just trying not to smile - he was faking being sad about this! So I had to up the ante on how this is bad - and not just for me. Since now he was home for another 15 minues - he got to do some spelling words. When that was over and we still had time he got to do math flashcards. Still, trying not to smile about his good fortune.
So Derek says he'll take him to school. Ok, that's great for me. Then Derek sees Logan sitting there and says he'll take Logan too. Ok, that's great too. It took half a second for the girls to see this happen and they both stampede for the door saying they're going too. As Derek's walking out the door with 4 kids in tow he says, "this isn't what I signed up for". All of the sudden I had 15 minutes to myself . . . and I had to try not to smile.
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Before I started working at the kids school, praying with the one eye open before the carpool came was a regular routine at our house. Now we pray with one eye open as I speedy-fast drive us school.
I am picturing that cute smiling boy who got to be late to school -- too funny.
What a great story, and I love the ending.....now I'm trying not to smile.
Maybe you should "accidently" miss the bus a couple times a month if it means a little free time for mom.
Ol' Tyler is a tricky, and Dk must be quite the long pray-er. Good thing your girls wanted to go along- it's a funny story.
Hooray for free time, tell DK to keep those prayers long more often.
Hooray for free time and long prayers with one eye opened. I'm glad you got 15 minutes.
Post a Comment