Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Stork Delivered!















Our baby Logan is here! Everything went smoothly and he's absolutely perfect. Everyone loves telling their delivery stories and I'm no different - so here it is: I was really picky about what day he'd be born - I had a whole 'black out' week where I didn't want him to be born from Nov. 22-28. If your birthday is one of those days every seven years your birthday is on Thanksgiving. I really didn't want my baby to have to share with a holiday - just have their day be their big day. So on Thanksgiving Day we entered into the black out week. I made it through Thanksgiving but was certainly not feeling good - and feeling bad enough I didn't want to make it through a whole week. Well a week we did not make. Friday the 23rd at about 1:00 a.m. I woke up with contractions. I tried to get them to stop by walking around but couldn't get them to stop. At 3:00 I woke up Derek and told him we had to go in. We called my mom to come and stay with the kids and in we went. We got there and got all checked out - I was 90% effaced and only dialated to 1 1/2 - when I died that I was only 1 1/2 cm the nurse said 'well, I could call it a 2 if it makes you feel better' - not really now that I know I'm really only a 1 1/2! My contractions were really close together so they called my doctor and told him and he gave the green light to get me all prepped for surgery. Things then got crazy: I had one nurse trying over and over to get my IV in, one nurse asking me a thousand questions, and one nurse making me sign who knows what! All the while having contractions for no reason! Once the doctor got there we rolled right into surgery and things just move so fast there. I got the spinal block (a little piece of heaven I call it!) and they went to work. At one point I asked Derek if they'd started yet and he told me that I was totally cut open and they were almost to the baby (heaven, I tell you). When they first saw the baby the doctor said, "that's a big head" - not the best words for a mom to hear but happy to hear they were at least to the baby. When they took him out the doctor told us he was a boy - Derek and I were totally surprised - we'd both thought it'd be a girl the whole pregnancy. It was so fun to be surprised!

Then they got to work on him and got to sewing me up. He weighed 7 pouonds, 4 oz. (absolutely huge at our house - that's 3 pounds bigger then Emmy!) and 18 3/4 inches long and born at 5:13 a.m. He has lots of brown hair which is also strange at our house - we're used to bald!

The worst part of a C-section is that they wheel the baby off and take me to recovery. I make Derek stay with the baby so that leaves me in recovery by myself. They won't let me out until I can move my toes (which really can be hardere than it sounds!). I just sat there willing myself to move my toes to no luck. I really took almost 2 hours before I could be moved. Usually they bring the baby to me while in recovery but Logan was breathing a bit too fast for him to be brought to me. With c-section babies they don't get the benefit of being squeezed through the birth canal so their lungs get all dried out - so Logan didn't get that extra squeezing and it was causing him to breath too fast. So we each had our issues - one of us can't catch our breath and the other can't move their toes! I ended up beating the little guy and met him in the nursery. They just wheeled my whole bed into the nursery to nurse him - it was pretty funny. I was so tired that while I'm having this sweet moment of the first time nursing him I was actually falling asleep!

The rest of the weekend was pretty calm. My parents had our kids Friday and Saturday - they took them to their cabin to see Sam be baptized and came home Saturday afternoon. Derek stayed in the hospital with me Friday night but I did the rest of the nights alone (a first for me too - that's pretty impressive considering this is our 4th kid and with c-sections I'm there 3-4 nights each). It was nice though for Derek to be able to put our kids to bed at home and have some routine there.

We had lots of visitors which was really nice. Of course my parents brought the kids every day but we also had Al and her family (great timing with Thanksgiving eh?), Tate and Angey and kids and John and Sandy drove all the way to see us even though they had to go home the same day! We also had a few friends stop by on Friday and Saturday. We came home Monday afternoon - and it is so good to be home!

The baby is doing great too. We spent the first 4 nights sleeping together but now everyone is in their own bed and doing lots better! You forget how good you feel when not pregnant but I feel so good right now - no more back ache, heartburn - the list goes on and on! My friend told me that most people glow when their pregnant but I glow now that I'm not pregnant! It is so true too!

Sorry so long - gotta get it written down though!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love his little "coming home" outfit- so boy, so DK! He's an absolute doll. Cute cute blog, my favorite of the year!

Rainie said...

I can't believe your already feeling good enough to blog again. What does that make my excuse? He is an absolute doll. I wish I could see him. Trying to get yourself to wiggle your toes and pushing the whole bed in the nursery really had me laughing. I love Logan!!

Angela said...

Oh, these pics are so precious. He is just beautiful. I am so happy for you guys to have another boy. I am excited especially, for Tyler! I have a little gift for little Logan, so I better come over soon and hold him!! Maybe Bay and Emmy would like to come over and play soon. We'd love to have them!