Saturday, December 22, 2007

My new favorite Christmas traditation

We've started a new tradition this year and it is absolutely my favorite. I got the idea from Carleen Tanner and I love it. It's called Mr. Peeps. Mr. Peeps is an elf that comes to your house the night of Thanksgiving with a poem. The poem explains that he is there to watch your house so he can tell Santa who's been good or bad. Every night he moves to a different hiding place and watches you throughout the day. If anyone touches him his magic leaves and he won't move any more. On Christmas Eve morning the kids find him in the Christmas tree waiting for Santa. Then on Christmas morning he's gone - he fills Santa in on the happenings of your house and Santa has takes him back to the North Pole.
I looked everywhere for an elf but didn't end up finding one here. My friend had her sister on the lookout in SLC and she found some elves for us. You really want them to be flexible - even have wire in their arms and legs is best so they can hide in different spots. Derek and I have had the most fun hiding him every night. He's been in the lights, on the ceiling fan, in all of our closets, high and low throughout our house. It's been hilarious to hide him every night. One night Derek was out late playing basketball so I hid him and went to bed. Derek got home and went to hide him. When he saw he gone from his hiding place Derek started searching the house to find him himself!
Our kids have loved it - and told everyone about the elf that lives at our house. Evey morning it's the first thing they do - find Mr. Peeps. Even Bay is way into it. She's found him herself first a few times too. She makes visitors to our house come and see him wherever he's hiding. The kids have even found a a few friends who have elves too. It's been so funny for me to talk to my friends about their elf adventures too - we have a friend who have 2 elves (one's in training), and one friend whose elf fell from their shelf in front of their kids - her husband came to the rescue by putting socks on his hands and putting him back up so the magic wouldn't be gone. It's been so fun - it will definitely be a yearly tradition for us.

1 comment:

Rainie said...

I love it!! I want Mr. Peeps to live here along with this Carleen Tanner lady. I'm off to find an elf. It sounds like so much fun.