Wednesday, August 27, 2014

School Year Themes

Last year our family had a theme for the school year.  It came from the Family Proclamation.  We used the paragraph that said that successful families are built upon faith, prayer, love, compassion, service, repentance, forgiveness, respect, and wholesome recreational activities.  We focused on one each month of the school year in our FHE's.  Loved it, loved it.
So this year as school was coming I started thinking about what our family school year theme should be.  I hadn't found anything I loved before FHE last night, so I thought maybe we could brainstorm one together.  And therein lies the problem ... we brainstormed some good ones, we brainstormed some bad ones.
 
Here's a list of the good ones the kids came up with (some took some coaching):
Be Courageous
I'm Trying to be Like Jesus
Golden Rule
Do a good deed every day
Try your best
Don't be greedy, be grateful
Be kind, Work hard
Be Kinder than Necessary
Go the Extra Mile
We say and do kind things
Kindness Matters
 
And here's the not so-good ones:
Don't hurt anyone
No plagiarizing
Kindness begins with you
If you're not sick, try your hardest
And our best of the worst ... drum roll please:
No burping or smoking
 
 
Needless to say, I'm going to pick our school year theme, without help from the peanut gallery!  I'm going with President Hinckley's 9 Be's.  9 Be's ... 9 months in the school year - it's definitely meant to be.  And definitely better than we could come up with on our own.  
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

Rainie said...

That is a winner. I wondered if you were doing it again. We just had our reveal. We're doing D&C 6:36, even though now I wish I could change it to "No burping or smoking".

Gayle Menlove said...

I love it, what a great. Idea! No wonder Bay loves FHE. You are doing a good job!

Jen said...

wow, what are you some turbo pinterest mom or something??
My family is going with the burping/smoking option. Definitely.