Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Fourth of July fun

We had the best Fourth of July. We headed to the mountains to my parent's cabin. We got there in the early afternoon and went straight to the river to play. The kids and Derek had a great time playing in the water. When the kids were done playing they headed to the cabin while my parents tended them and Derek and I got to float the river. Then we had a BBQ and headed into the small town for the parade. This parade is the funniest parade there is - the whole route is maybe a mile and anyone can be in it - there's lots of trucks, motorcycles, and a few horses - there aren't however many actual floats. Because it's so short the parade goes up the street, then turns around and comes back! Who's ever heard of that?! What they lack in floats they make up for in water. Everyone in the parade comes armed with water balloons, water guns, even fire hoses. The spectators also come armed and it becomes quite the town water fight. I was holding Logan so I thought it was understood that babies were off limits - apparently not . . . we were getting it from all directions until I got out my big shade umbrella for some protection. My kids kept running to our van - I'm telling ya, it was save yourself. The parade was a riot. After the parade we went back and rode the 4-wheelers, made a campfire and had s'mores, and watched the fireworks from the cabin. Saturday was a repeat with 4-wheeling, hiking, swimming, sleeping in, and eating. What a great way to spend a holiday weekend.

3 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

How fun! I love the small town parades--in Delta one of the grocery stores throws popsicles out the back of the truck--you wanna be at the first of the parade for that treat.

Gayle Menlove said...

It was a great 4th of July! I loved it too!

Rainie said...

I'm still waiting for the rodeo post and Ty's expert cowboy skill. We missed you guys in ID.