Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dollar Store Delights

Anyone who thinks slavery was abolished in 1865 (and yes, I had to wikipedia that) is wrong. Slavery is alive and well at my house this summer. I have three little slaves who call me Mom, and I'm one mean slave driver. This summer my kids have really worked - making their beds, putting away their laundry, taking out trash, washing cabinets, cleaning windows, and watering flowers - they've really worked this summer. So of course every good slave driver has to have some sort of enticement for their little slaves. My kids have earned different things like treats, snow cones, dates with me or Derek (all three picked Derek . . . maybe that has something to do with him not being the slave driver . . .), rent a movie, and the reason for this post: going to the dollar store.
The up side to the dollar store is to hear your mom say - you can pick anything you want in this entire store. So Tyler picked a plastic mean-looking gorilla. You'll notice no picture of this gorilla because it literally broke into many pieces while we were still in the parking lot - the poor kid hadn't even buckled up yet! That's the down side to the dollar store . . . it's junk.
Well Bay and Emmy picked out something that cracks me up every time I see it their room. Emmy picked the dog - his name is Smelly (I had to ask some follow up questions on his name so I wouldn't be confused - his name is Smelly because he's good at smelling things, not because he stinks). Bay picked the cow - his name is Cow (no follow up questions were needed). So thank you Dollar Store for thrilling 2 out of 3 kids and one mean slave driver.
>

5 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go Amy! I think you need to give me some pointers on actually getting them to work "hard". Our last dollar store purchase, a book light, broke in the car as well.

One Sassy Mama said...

As one taskmaster to another--I commend you for keeping slavery alive and well in your own home. hehe.

I am so in love with "Smelly" the dog--that is so cute! You know I think Emmy and Savvy are cut from the same piece of cloth--she is also obsessed with dogs--and would fill a shelf up with dog figurines if I'd let her. Actually, she has. Unfortunately, that is not all she collects--she also has a gnome shelf, a nutcracker shelf and a cat shelf. All fine on their own==but together it is ug.

P.S. Hey Hicksville (hehe): Here is your question answered: Larry H. Miller and his fancy megaplex theaters have pre-assigned seating. You buy your tickets online (for a small fee)--and pick your seats--they even have the seating chart to view so you can see what's available. If you don't want to pay the extra money for online seats--you can just go to the theater and purchase them there--still assigned though. Kinda cool if you ask me--and it beats the heck out of standing in line an hour before the movie starts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tyler needs a re-do at the dollar store Nal! Man your kids are into animals- Good for them for earning all their prizes this summer. Good for you for teaching them to work, and good for all of us there's such a thing as the dollar store.

Rainie said...

You do feel like a great mom when you can say "you can pick out any thing you want in the whole store". We're do for a trip there ourselves soon.

Gayle Menlove said...

It sounds like you got the bribery or slavery down pat. You've got good little workers bees and Tyler needs a redo, Al is right!