Thursday, June 05, 2008

Last Day of School

It's official now - Tyler's done with first grade and summer is here (despite the cold and wet weather!). Yesterday was his last day. At his school every year they have a family picnic on the last day. So I loaded up all the kids and we headed to school with our lunches. The atmosphere at the school was so fun - all the kids bouncing off the walls and saying their goodbyes - it was hilarious. We got to say goodbye to all his friends and his teacher. Are you ready to hear how great his teacher is? Here it is - she gave us 2 folders full of worksheets - he has to do one page from each folder every week day throughout the summer. I love it so much! I was going to make my own math worksheets for him but hers are already done, plus their are different pages - telling time, tens/ones, etc. so hers are a thousand times better. She also gave me a mug with Tyler's individual picture and his class picture on it for volunteering. But my favorite thing was this magic hammer she brought in. She tapped everyone on the head and if it beeped then you got to go to second grade. So I say to Tyler, 'did it beep for you?', he says 'yeah, but guess what! She did it to herself and it didn't beep - she has to stay in first grade!'. I think that is the cutest thing ever!
We ended up bringing our lunches home because it was so cold we didn't want to eat outside - lots easier for me. Tyler was on cloud nine to be done with school.

3 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Tyler has the cutest teacher! I love his school! How fun for him. And the camping week sounds like such a blast.

Usually the last week of school is such a waste cuz the kids are ready to be out and so are the teachers -- how lucky they made it such a good time for him--he'll be excited to come back next year.

Gayle Menlove said...

What a great teacher, I love the magic hammer. Tyler has had a great year and well prepared for 2nd grade with summer work sheets. Good idea!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Brother! He is such a cutie/smartie. Yeah Summer time!