Thursday, May 22, 2008
Race Day
Becca, Stacia, Kim, Becca, Lisa, me
A few months ago a few friends and I decided to do a 10K race (6.2 miles). We started training and ran quite religiously to get ready for it. We followed Hal Higdon's training program and for a 10K he has your first run be a 2.5 miler. I couldn't believe I had to start at 2.5 miles! I hadn't run since early last summer. Nonetheless, I spent the last 8 weeks training for this race. Saturday morning 6 of us went down to the race together. The race started at 8:30 so I started picking people up at 7:00. We parked, shuttled to the start line, and promptly got in the line for the bathrooms. We almost missed the starting gun because we all were in the bathroom! The race started and was a great morning for a run. It went by the river so we had shade and some cool air from the water. At the finish line I was totally surprised to see my parents standing there! I didn't know they were coming so it was totally surprising to have someone cheering for me at the end.
My goal for the race had been to run in it an hour - I finished at 1 hour and 8 seconds - ah . . . so close!
Afterwards we went to breakfast. I told everyone that breakfast was the real reason I ran it. We had wanted to go to a place downtown I've heard is really good. So we went in and there was a 90 minute wait for a table - FOR BREAKFAST! Have you ever heard of such a thing?! That is insanity! So we settled for a different place and had a huge breakfast (we deserved it right?). We all had lots of fun running and eating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment