Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Student of the Week lives here

A few weeks ago Tyler comes home with a coupon from McDonald's for a free hamburger, drink and fries. He doesn't know why he got it, but he's pretty sure that no one else had a coupon in their cubby (I know, I'm encouraging cubby peeking!). I ask lots of questions and get nothing as to why we're getting this coupon. So I just think it's some freebie from McDonald's and not much more. Derek however is not so convinced - for days he asked me to call his teacher and ask why he got it. I refused saying that if everyone got one we'd solidify our position of really high maintence parents!
So the next week I go in to volunteer (where I found out that I'd been assigned as Room Mom even though I totally did not volunteer!) and I ask her about it. She says, "Oh, Tyler was student of the week." She goes on to tell me that each month has a different theme and then she picks two students that month that are examples of that theme - October's was Personal Responsibility - and she picked Tyler! She doesn't know how Tyler couldn't know that - she said she explained everything and made a big fuss - Tyler even got an ovation - but he was clueless as to why he got the coupon. There's going to be an assembly next month recognizing all of the students of the week this month - Derek and I will be their in the front row!
So I take Tyler to McDonald's and am so excited to get his coupon worth of food for his big achievement - but wait, he doesn't want a hamburger - he wants nuggets, and wait, where's the toy? So I ended up getting the kid a dang happy meal and I got my lunch from his coupon! Not a great deal, but a good deal none the less!

3 comments:

Jen said...

OK, Tyler is the best student of the month ever! way to go dude, even if he doesn't know why he got the coupon, or that he doesn't want to eat it! Hey, free food is free food!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I didn't know he was S.o.t.M! What a sugar! I would pick him too! Kids in our family don't waste any time getting chosen do they? That is awesome, and I'm going to call him and tell him so. That is super funny about the dinner, but at least yours was free right? Yeah Ty Ty and if I lived there, I'd come to said assembly myself!

Rainie said...

That's so awesome. I wish I could come and be in the front row too!!!Give him another standing ovation for me, and pat yourself on the back too.