Wednesday, March 07, 2018

National History Day

      National History Day! Who's ever even heard of this??  Not me.  Emily came home from school a few weeks ago and said she'd entered the paper she'd written into the NHD contest.  That conversation really had to start at square one.
     They'd been assigned in Social Studies to do any type of research on a historical topic.  It could be a paper, poster board display, website, power point, some kids wrote a play (!), really the sky was the limit on how to present your information.  Any student who then wanted to enter their project in to the NHD contest could.  Emily wrote a paper on Queen Mary I, (Mary Tudor), aka Bloody Mary.
    She got all registered, turned in copies of her paper to the judges, and the morning came.  On the way to the judging Emily read me her paper and did I ever learn a lot about Bloody Mary!  Mostly because I didn't know anything about her.
    We got to the the school where the judging was and waited outside her assigned room.  We knew she would have to defend her paper in front of 2 judges.  They were all assigned a 15 minute time slot.  Waiting outside that room was scary!  Finally out came the judges and in went Emily.  She was gone all of her 15 minutes and then came out very relieved and happy it was over.  She told me the questions she'd been asked and how she'd answered. 



Waiting to go in

After her interview, we walked around to see the displays

  We knew the awards were going to be later in the afternoon and Emily said she didn't expect to win anything so she didn't need to go to the awards.  Later that afternoon I got a text from a friend who was at the awards asking if we were there.  Nope - Bailey and I were at a movie technically.  She told me Emily had won 4th place in the research paper category!!  I text Emily from the movie and as best as we could we totally celebrated via text.  
    I am so extremely proud of Emily for entering this contest.  She had to write the paper for school, but she easily could have quit there.  But she entered this scary contest and had to defend her paper to 2 judges.  I am so impressed that she would voluntarily do this.  It took such guts to enter.  
   I have really been impressed with how brave Emily is lately.  Entering this was brave.  A few weeks ago Tyler was running super late on a Sunday morning and Emily volunteered to go the church, play prelude and the opening hymn for him.  That was brave.  She joined the school golf team without having much golf experience.  And not knowing anyone on the team.  She's the only freshman girl on the team.  That was brave.  This girl has really become willing to try new things, go after what she wants, and not let fear make her decisions.  I'm so proud of her!

1 comment:

Gayle Menlove said...

I am so proud of Emily too! She is brave and doing so many scary things all on her own. You just have to admire her! She is an amazing pianist as well. Good for her to be willing to fill in for Tyler at the organ Sunday morning. She is pretty impressive! And she’s a cutie!