Saturday, March 23, 2013

Oh Canada!

     Last Saturday was a big day - my parents were set apart as full time missionaries.  Afterwards, we partied.  A final Hug and Kiss party for my awesome missionary parents. 
    All of my siblings and their kids were there to watch them be set apart.  It was so great to be a part of - and awesome for my kids to see their grandparents be set apart as missionaries.
   Then we came to my house for dinner.  We had the house decked in red and white - Canda's colors.  We had red and white crepe paper and balloons everywhere - my house looked like a candy cane - inside and out.  We had a big sign that said, "Oh Canada!" also.  We had a contest to see who could wear the most things that started W or C (for Winnipeg, Canada) - people came with Wicker baskets and Camo bags full of Water bottles, Cans, Crayons, Corn, Cats; and people wearing Watches, Wigs, Wristbands, and Wooden Camel earrings (double points).  It was hilarious.   The winners were awarded with candy bars - Crunch, Whatchamacallit, and Carmelletto of course.
   It was so fun to spend this fun evening celebrating my parents.  We had thought about playing games like Guesstures with all missionary-themed words, but in the end simply wanted to spend time with each other.
   The next day, Sunday, my parents came to sacrament meeting with my family, and afterwards got in their car and drove off to the MTC.  That's a weird feeling - to see your parents leaving for a mission.  We've always known they'd go, and talked about it for ages, but seeing them leave was hard.  I came home from church sad, but proud of them.
    I can't wait for next summer when we are going to take the 22 hour drive to Winnipeg to see them. My kids talk about going to Canada all the time - I think Emily's final words to my dad were, "Next time I see you we'll be in a different country!".  I'm glad I have a big, fun trip to plan and look forward to - it will help the time go faster.   I'm so proud to have missionary parents.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

Love what you said about having something to look forward to. You hosted one rockin' farewell party.

Gayle Menlove said...

That was such a nice party, loved the sign and balloons and of course the W C party. Thank you for all your work and effort to make our family party such a memorable evening for us.