Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Come, Come, Ye Youth

This year our ward's youth is doing a pioneer trek. This is replacing our Girl's Camp and the boys' High Adventure. When I got called to Young Women's last summer I was told that this year we were doing trek - this was the best part of being called to YW. I have always wanted to go on a trek and now I get to with the girls I've been working with for a year. I can't wait for trek. It's going to be 4 days and 17 miles through nothing but desert but I think it sounds awesome.
I really wanted to go, but Derek also is in YM so he really wanted to go too. So we've persuaded people to take our kids for the 4 days we'll be gone. So now that we've got them squared away Derek and I are set to go. Since we're both going we volunteered to be a Ma and Pa. We'll have 6-8 kids in our family to pull our handcart (Derek wants the Ma's and Pa's to get together and hold a draft to pick the kids - I don't see that happening). Everyone gets a 5 gallon bucket, and 17 pounds to bring with them what they want.
Everyone has to be in full Pioneer attire - no jeans, no ball caps, completely authentic (down to the bloomers). Everyone is responsible for their own clothes - buy it, sew it, borrow it - just get it. So today I went to the fabric store and picked up my fabric for my skirts and apron (I'm buying the bonnet off eBay - I hear they're tricky to make - and I'm trying to keep this authentic right?
So now me and my electric sewing machine can really start feeling like pioneers!

7 comments:

Gayle Menlove said...

It will be an awesome experience.

Remember Aunt Virginia gave each of us a bonnet at the family reunion. I also have my bonnet and a skirt you could remodel.

You and DK will make a great Ma and Pa although you will look more a little sister.

mindy said...

wow! I'm glad you are excited about it, though I don't know if I would be. And I made a bonnet last year for my daughter. It was kind of tricky, but not impossible if you have a pattern. I kept telling myself I'd make a second one, since I figured it out, but never did. I'm not that motivated. ;o)

Happy sewing!

Aj's crazy days said...

Our ward did this a couple years ago and I've heard nothing but great great great things. You'll be the best Ma & Pa.

Lempskies said...

I wish we lived close. I'd help w/ your kids & loan you a bonnet.

I was jealous my sister got to see you last week. I wanted to call you, but my trip was so short & I was less recovered from the miscarriage than I thought- traveling was exhausting.

Good luck on your trek!

debbie said...

i had a friend do this a few years ago and she loved it. it was one of here hightlights in young womens

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, the trek and the draft idea. Your clothes are little so you'll be able to fit more in your bucket!

Rainie said...

How awesome, I love it! I hope the draft idea works out for Derek. I wish I could be one of your kids. Have fun, I want to see pics of the pioneer clothing you create.