A few weeks ago I needed to clean out our fish tank. So I moved the fish into Temporary Housing (a.k.a. a bowl on the kitchen counter). I cleaned out the tank, filled it with clean water, and left it on the counter so it could get to room temperature before I moved our fish back in.
Much later . . . Logan woke up from his nap and I put him in his high chair for a snack. His high chair, unfortunately, is right next to the counter where our 3 little fish were hanging out in their Temporary Housing unit.
Not giving my homeless fish a thought, I went upstairs to talk to Derek for a few minutes. All of the sudden Emmy comes running up the stairs yelling, "The fish! The fish! Logan got the fish!" Instantly I know what she's talking about - Logan in his high chair, perched next to the counter with the bowl, pulled it over for a closer look - dumping out the fish. I start yelling at Derek telling him he's got to save the fish (Derek has no idea what I'm talking about - but there isn't time to explain). So we all run downstairs and find exactly what I'm afraid of - the bowl, water, fish all on the floor. I fill up the bowl as fast as I can with new water and am yelling at Derek to pick up the fish. At this point the little guys aren't flopping around anymore - they're just lying there still, with their big eye staring at us. Derek's trying to scoop them up with the net and I'm yelling that their isn't time for the net - just grab the little guys with your fingers! He's yelling at me that if he touches the fish their fishy oils will rub off and they'll die - all the while, we're getting stared at by their big eyes! Derek finally scoops up 2 and gets them in water - then we realize we can't find the third fish. We're looking frantically for him when I have the horrible thought to look on Logan's high chair tray - yep . . . one still fish just lying there. Derek scooped him up and we took a collective sigh as all three fish are back in water - and miraculously are swimming around.
We're all starting to calm down when Emmy says, "I'm so glad my fish already died so he didn't have to go through that!". Even though that third fish didn't have the fall from the counter to the floor we're pretty sure he got the worst end of it being within poking distance from Logan. Amazingly enough . . . all three fish are all still alive, I don't know how. We now call Logan "Darla" from Finding Nemo. Now there's a fish tale!
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My favorite part: the big eye! Emmy is so funny being glad that her fish is swimming the big pool in the sky- it is amazing they made it. Must be zamzow fish!
I'm so glad you got Derek to help you put the fish back in the bowl. Fish make me scream and jump up on chairs just like mice would.
Great story!
Good for "Red Alert Emmy" for saving the fish! That's a great story.
I'm glad the fish all survived! If it's true what they say about their memories, the incident is long since forgotten!
Post a Comment