In January Derek and I (more Derek than I) decided we wanted to take the kids camping. We talked Derek's sister and her family into joining us and we booked a weekend at Refish Lake. In January it seemed like a great idea, in July it seemed like a lot of work! We spent 2 nights there and had a great time. I'm so glad Angey came - it was way more fun with cousins!
We left in the afternoon and had a long drive there. We were packed to the rafters! We took out one seat in our van for more room and I still had to have firewood at my feet for the whole drive (and having stuff at my feet in a car is a huge pet peeve of mine)! To add to our insanity we took Derek, Tyler, and Emmy's bikes - which started falling off the bike rack halfway there!
We got to the campground and set up our tent and had dinner. The kids just had a great time running around, picking up sticks, and throwing rocks in the lake. The next day we went to their Junior Rangers program which was excellent. They learned all about the native animals of the area. We hiked, played in the lake, geocached, cooked s'mores, and made ice cream. The kids loved every minute.
Everyone's favorite moment was when Derek was taking things out of our van and a chipmunk jumped in. The chipmunk would hop in and out, in and out, and I kept trying to get a picture of him in our van. He finally left and I never got my picture so I shut the van door. Then, here he comes again. He jumps right into the van - completly bodyslamming himself!
Taking the bikes was really fun - this is where Emmy mastered her 2 wheeler and now she's an expert at it. Tyler and Derek would go for rides and loved it.
The kids had such a great time - it was worth packing the food, cooking outside, outhouses, bugs, and putting up with all the dirt. We had a great trip.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How did you make the ice cream? The whole trip sounds really fun- good for you guys for planning it and making it happen.
Post a Comment