Sunday, June 03, 2007

I'm Allergic to WHAT?!?

We've had quite the realization with Tyler this week. Last Saturday he came home from camping with Derek and Emmy and was just really rubbing his eyes. I chalked it up to being up too late and didn't think much of it. Then Sunday and Monday he was fine. Tuesday we went on the kindergarten field trip to the zoo, Discovery Center, and had a picnic at the park and his eyes were driving him crazy again. Again, me - not worried about it. Wednesday he was fine and then Thursday morning we go to the park before school and then while he's at school they call me and say, "We've got Tyler in the nurse's office, his eyes are really bugging him and maybe it's pink eye, so come get him." So I go in, pick up my swollen red eye boy and bring him home. At this point I'm putting all of these things together and think, 'ok, he's got allergies' - now I who have no allergies am officially stumped about what comes next. So Friday morning we're at the doctor's office saying, "Now what?" He told me that he's allergic to pollen and we just need give him a bath when he comes in from outside and get him on some Claritin or something to clear this up. So he says, 'keep him inside until we can get this back under control, we'll do medicine for 2 weeks and then use as needed.' That's all great and off we go.
On the way to the car little Tyler's head was just spinning. He kept saying, "I didn't know I was allergic to pollen - that is so surprising - I just didn't know!" He couldn't get his mind around this new realization - it had him totally baffled! It was hilarious how shocked he was!
So we get home and he's just playing and sees the mail get delivered, he runs out to get the mail, gets half way there, runs back in and says, 'I just shouldn't be outside, I'm allergic to pollen.'
We had to talk about how we're going to be able to be outside and still be allergic to pollen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you have to keep him in for 2 weeks? I hope the little guy is feeling better and that the pollen count goes down!

Rainie said...

Poor little guy. Maybe the medicine will help him so he can still do his outdoor thing.